I  U  P  A  C

News & Notices

Organizations & People

Standing Committees







Links of Interest

Search the Site

Home Page


Macromolecular Division (IV)

Commission on Macromolecular Nomenclature (IV.1)

Minutes of the Meeting in Sydney, Australia, 19 - 22 July 1998

The Commission met at the Chemistry Department, University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia. Those attending were: Titular members: Prof. Stepto, Chairman, (UK); Prof. Hess (Germany); Prof. Horie (Japan); Prof. Jones (UK); Dr. Kahovec (Czech Republic); Prof. Maréchal (France); Dr. Metanomski (USA); Prof. Baron, Secretary (Argentina); Associate members: Prof. Hatada (Japan); Prof. Jin (Korea); Prof. Kubisa (Poland); Prof. Penczek (Poland); Prof. Shibaev (Russia); Dr. Wilks (USA); Consultant: Dr. Mita (Japan); Dr. Work (USA), Observer: Prof. Gilbert (Australia) and Correspondent Prof. Vohlidal.


After consultation with the Membership before the Meeting the following Agenda was agreed. It is here used as a Table of Contents.

1. Chairman's Remarks

1.1. Welcome

1.2. Minutes of the Geneva Meeting.

1.3. Matters arising from Geneva Minutes

1.4. Publications since Geneva.

  1. IUPAC developments
  2. Timetable for the Sydney Meeting

2. Projects to have been Submitted for Public Review

2.1. 18/87 Liquid Crystals Baron, Stepto

2.2. 19/89 Revision of Regular, Single Strand Nomenclature Kahovec, Metanomski

3. Projects in Preparation by Working Parties

3.1. 21/93 Generic Nomenclature Maréchal

3.2. 22/93 Guide to Polymer Terminology Metanomski

3.3. 24/93 Multi-Phase Polymeric Materials Work

3.4. 25/95 Asymmetric Polymerizations Hatada, Kahovec

3.5. 26/95 Kinetics and Thermodynamics of Polymerization Penczek

3.6. 27/95 Polymer - Inorganic Composites Jones

3.7. 28/97 Terminology and Nomenclature of Hyperbranched Macromolecules Kahovec

3.8. 29/97 Cyclic Macromolecule Nomenclatures Maréchal

3.9. 30/97 Polymer Class Names Metanomski

3.10. 31/97 Polymerization Processes and Polymers in Dispersed Systems Kubisa/Horie

Terminology in the Chromatography of Polymers and Related

3.11. 32/97 Separations Hess

4. Feasibility Studies

4.1. F-6 Thermal Properties Shibaev

4.2. F-13 Gel Terminology Hess

4.3. F-15 Functionalization of Polymers Horie

4.4. F-16 Terminology of Ion-Containing Polymers Hess

4.5. F-17 Terminology of Dielectric Properties of Polymers Barón

  1. New Feasibility Studies
  2. F-18 Ultimate Mechanical Properties of Polymers
  3. F-19 Source-based Nomenclature for Modified Macromolecules
  4. F-20 Nomenclature of Threaded Cyclic Macromolecules

6. Other Business

  1. Comprehensive List of Terms Work
  2. The Purple Book Metanomski
  3. IUBMB documents Kahovec
  4. Publicity Barón, Stepto
  5. Website Work

6.5. Documents under Public Review Gilbert

7. Titular Members Meeting

  1. 1999 Meeting


1. Chairman's Remarks

1.1. Welcome. Prof. Stepto opened the meeting by welcoming the attendees and thanking them for their hard work during the past year. He considered it to have been a very active period.

  1. The Minutes from the Geneva Meeting were approved without changes.

1.3 Matters arising from the Geneva Meeting. All the matters arising and covered in the present Minutes.

1.4. Publications since Geneva

1.4.1. Definitions of terms belonging to the Non-Ultimate Mechanical Properties of Polymers (Recommendations, 1997) Pure Appl. Chem. 70, 701-754 (1998)

1.4.2. Source-Based Nomenclature for Non-Linear Macromolecules and Macromolecular Assemblies (Recommendations 1995) Pure Appl. Chem., 69, 2511-2521 (1997).

1.4.3. Chapter 6 in Principles of Chemical Nomenclature, Blackwell Science Ltd., Oxford, UK, 1998, refers to polymer nomenclature. Dr. Metanomski participated in this book, that has received already very favorable comments.

  1. IUPAC Developments

1.5.1. SDIC Recommendations

In view of the extended discussions during MACRO98, regarding recent Strategic Development and Implementation Committee (SDIC) recommendations, the matter was not pursued further. Following the Chairman's invitation, there was no wish to reopen the matter, especially since there will be a complete description in the Division Meeting Minutes. The subject was deferred until the Berlin General Assembly in 1999.

1.5.2. Minutes received from Dr. Barry Whyte

They refer to the joint meeting held by IUPAP-IUBMB. Dr. Kahovec and the Secretary were instructed to review them and see if they contain anything relevant to the Purple Book. (KAHOVEC and BARÓN).

1.5.3. The Staudinger Letter - Polymer and Macromolecule

Prof. Stepto reviewed the matter recalling that Dr. phil. Magda Staudinger Woigt had died on April 21, 1997. She had published a note in the journal TERMINOLOGY [3(2), 343-7 (1996)], regarding her husband's work and the case of the terms "polymer" and "macromolecule". Prof. Jenkins and Dr. Metanomski had written a letter in response, before her death, that was published in the same journal after her death. The Secretary was instructed to incorporate a brief abstract of all these documents into the Minutes of this Meeting (as follows):

The gist of the matter revolves around the usage of the words polymer and macromolecule. In her letter to TERMINOLOGY, Frau Dr. Staudinger-Woigt, on the basis of her late husband's (Prof. Dr. Hermann Staudinger's) opinion, considers that the word macromolecule should be used exclusively, disregarding the term polymer as "obsolete"(sic). All this supported by the fact that the latter word, due to its original formation from the combination of two Greek words, can be applied to any structure composed by parts without any special indication of the nature of the linkage between them. On the other hand, the word macromolecule precludes the existence of chemical bonds among constitutional units that are themselves molecules of various sizes

Frau Dr. Staudinger-Woigt further indicated in her note that she had received opinions in favour of using macromolecule in addition to polymer. In further response to her request for arguments pro and contra, Prof. A. D. Jenkins with the cooperation of Dr. V. M. Metanomski, sent a Letter to the Editor of TERMINOLOGY pointing out very clearly the recommendations regarding these two terms that resulted from the work of IUPAC Commission IV.1. Consequently, both terms have now separate definitions that identify them unequivocally, therefore macromolecule refers essentially to a molecule while polymer refers to a substance (cf. Glossary of Basic Terms in Polymer Science, Recommendations 1995) Pure Appl. Chem. 68, 2287-2323 (1996).

1.6. Timetable for the Sydney Meeting

The new format for the Agenda (see Annex A), that had been circulated to all attending Members prior to the Meeting, was accepted after a short discussion.

No formal decision was considered to be necessary since this meeting proceeded essentially along the proposed lines with the sole exception that instead of devoting continued time for the WP individual sessions they were interspersed with sessions of the full Commission (Annex D).

In the future, Coordinators will inform the Secretary on meeting time needed for their WPs when they receive the tentative Agenda, so that a list can be prepared by the Secretary to facilitate organization of the timetable during the first hours of the meeting.

2. Projects to have been Submitted for Public Review

2.1 18/87 Liquid Crystals

Profs. Stepto and Barón reported on the present situation. The document is now complete after the comments and suggestions of members of the International Liquid Crystal Society (ILCS) have been incorporated. Minor editorial corrections are now being introduced and the final draft will be sent for public review in early September.

Prof. Shibaev expressed his satisfaction at the completion of the work, considering all the efforts devoted to it by so many colleagues. He wished to thank not only the members of the WP but also to all others that cooperated in its preparation. He further suggested that the document be published not only in PAC but also in liquid crystal journals and offered to contact the editors for this purpose. Prof. Stepto replied that, although this is very desirable, it can be done only after publication in PAC.

By May 1999 comments from public review should have been received and the necessary changes made so that the final document can be published before the Berlin Meeting or, at least, ratified during it.

The draft for public review will also be sent to the members of the WP and to all those that were active in its preparation. Profs. Barón and Shibaev will update the list.


  1. Send the Draft to Prof. Stepto for editorial checking by 10 September 1998. (BARÓN).
  2. Send for public review by 15 October 1998. (BARÓN).
  3. Check list of experts and send the Draft to them and to the WP by 31 October 1998. (BARÓN and SHIBAEV).
  4. Post the document on the Commission's web site (WORK).

2.2 19/89 Revision of Regular Single-Strand Nomenclature

Dr. Kahovec reported on the work done by the WP, indicating that only small amendments in words and nouns were necessary. The draft was sent to the Commission Membership and to outside experts. Only five of the former and three of the latter responded (Dr. Hans-Georg Elias, Prof. T. Tsuruta and Prof. J. G. Traynham, Secretary of the Organic Chemistry Comm. on Nomenclature).

One general comment was the need to update the organic names. Dr. Kahovec feels that he can cope with the necessary changes and prepare the final draft for public review.

Prof. Stepto indicated that it had been agreed with Dr. Work that all documents that go to public review will be placed on the Commission's web page. The matter was referred to Dr. Work the following day, when he participated in the meeting.

Finally, the four recommendations made by the Commission during the Geneva Meeting were reviewed.

  1. The word "polymers" in the title was changed to "macromolecules".
  2. "Degree of unsaturation" and "state of hydrogenation" are not used interchangeably throughout the document.
  3. The final draft, now adequately structured, will be completed.
  4. The draft will not contain Dr. Fox's recommendations regarding cyclic structures because they are the subject of another project.


  1. Make necessary revisions to the document, write a summary, prepare a list of experts consulted, and send to Prof. Stepto by 31 January 1999 requesting public review (KAHOVEC)
  2. Prepare a letter of approval and send to Prof. Baron by 15 February 1999 (STEPTO).
  3. Request letter of approval from the Division President by 28 February 1999 (BARÓN).
  4. Send the approved document to the Commission, the experts consulted, the IDCNS, and the Secretariat to request public review by 31 March 1999 (BARÓN).
  5. Post the document on the Commission's web site (WORK).

3. Projects in Preparation by Working Parties

3.1. 21/93 - Generic Nomenclature

Prof. Maréchal reported that the WP agreed to introduce some changes to the draft. Most important was the subject matter starting on page 3. It was agreed that it did not belong to this project and will become a feasibility study (see F-19).

In this document the following changes will be made:

  1. Pages 3,4 and 5 will be eliminated.
  2. Rule 1 will reference the Purple Book and be included in the Introduction.
  3. In Rule 3 names will be written as:

polyG: A

because it is less confusing.

  1. On page 7, in examples 3.4 and 3.5: All references to bisphenol A will be replaced by quinone and carbonic chloride by phosgene so that it reads:


New wordings were proposed for pages 10 and 11. All separations are to be eliminated so that names are written:

poly G,G',G''

because, although the use of hyphens would correspond, it is common English practice to drop them when not really needed. One continuous word is therefore acceptable.

Titles on page 9 are to be eliminated because they are unnecessary as well as the last line on page 11. Also the addition of a note after Rule 5 was recommended.

Since class names are not unique, this ought to be so indicated. Consequently structure I has two possible names:

  • polyamideetherketone
  • polyetherketoquinoxaline
  • The long name was questioned and the matter was settled by vote, with 8 (eight) in favor of the long one, 6 (six) against it and 1 (one) abstention. The words will be included in English alphabetical order.

    Dr. Kahovec found a pleonasm in Rule 3, that was changed accordingly. The second sentence in Note 6 was deleted because it is unnecessary, as well as the title on page 13.

    Prof. Maréchal objected to the manner in which crosslinking is indicated on page 15. To this effect -styrene does not make clear if it refers to a monomer, an oligomer or a polymer. The final version should be checked.

    The use of amic acid was discussed extensively. Since it is of common usage in industry and also is consistent with Chem. Abs. nomenclature it was finally accepted in the expression:

  • poly(amic acid)ether
  • For structure II, polyetherimide was accepted and the line between I and II was deleted.

    In Example 5.3 the word quinoxaline was replaced by phenazine.

    Prof. Stepto questioned the Appendix and suggested a new wording.

    The changes approved were :

    -removal of pages 17 to 19 because they contain normal organic nomenclature and are therefore unnecessary

    -language corrections sent in by Prof. Jenkins for pages 2 and 5

    -the word polymers will be replaced by polymer molecules throughout the text.


    1. All corrections are to be made (MARÉCHAL)
    2. The amended Draft should be sent to the WP and at least twenty outside experts by 31 August 1998 (MARÉCHAL).
    3. Comments back to Prof. Maréchal including suggestions of experts (both industrial and academic) by 30 November 1998 (WP).
    4. Send list of experts to the Commission Secretary (MARÉCHAL).
    5. Expert comments are expected back before the Berlin Meeting and should be circulated to the WP (MARÉCHAL).
    6. The document is now considered complete and ready for public review after the Berlin meeting.

    3.2. 22/93 - Guide to Polymer Terminology

    Dr. Metanomski indicated that he could only provide a progress report and that there is still a long way to go with this document. Some chapters, although advanced, are not ready for inspection. Other chapters should await the publication of the corresponding documents, so that the information they contain could be used. However, he emphasised on the need to establish limits as to what should be included and how comprehensive the material should be.

    Prof. Barón asked when the Guide is expected to be published. Dr. Metanomski said that it would take not less than two years. At this point chapters were reviewed individually and it was concluded that only chapters 2 (Polymerization Reactions) and 8 (Nomenclature) might not have the corresponding documents ready in time. As a result, a cut-off period of two years was considered to be convenient and although Dr. Metanomski retires form the Commission in one year, he wished to continue in the project. In any case he stated that a final editorial unification review will be absolutely necessary.

    The state of the chapters at present is as follows:

    Chapter 1 - Basic Terms: A draft exists

    Chapter 2 - Polymerization Reactions: Awaits the document on polymerization reactions (26/95). Possibly the document could go to outside experts and for public review by the Berlin meeting, so that publication could not be expected before 2002. Therefore, this chapter could be completed by 2001.

    Chapter 3 - Macromolecules in Solution: A new draft is to be prepared following Prof. Kratochvìl's version (STEPTO).

    Chapter 4 - Crystalline Polymers: Has to be finalised (JIN).

    Chapter 5: The present draft has to be made consistent with the Liquid Crystals document (BARÓN)

    Chapter 6 - Degradation and Aging of Polymers: Is complete.

    Chapter 7 - Mechanical Properties of Polymers: The chapter is now available and comments can be made (WORK).

    Chapter 8 - Structure-Based Nomenclature: Dr. Metanomski proposed that the following list of topics should be included:

  • Source based nomenclature
  • Copolymers
  • Regular single strand polymers
  • Double strand polymers
  • Single strand inorganic polymers
  • Irregular single strand polymers
  • Non-linear polymers
  • Graphic representations
  • Other possibilities to be considered are:

  • Class names
  • Hyperbranched polymers
  • Modified polymers

  • The following points were agreed:

    The size of each chapter should not necessarily be in proportion with the document or documents from which it derives. The reference numbering for definitions should be in the form: ([ reference number], Definition number). e.g. ([1], Definition 1.1) Put to vote these points were approved unanimously.

    Dr. Metanomski also indicated the need for a list of terms as an Appendix and an index, in a different font, for the terms actually defined.

    Members of the WP were urged to ensure consistency between the chapters and the documents from which they derive.


    1. Contact directly the Chapter coordinators and request that all chapters become equally advanced as soon as possible (METANOMSKI).
    2. All coordinators should send copies of their chapters to Dr. Metanomski and their WPs before 31 December 1998 (CHAPTER COORDINATORS).

    3.3. 24/93 Multi-Phase Polymeric Materials

    Dr. Work made a general description of the present state of the project and listed Prof. Papisov's comments. Consequently his suggested changes were discussed and incorporated.

    Note was rewritten starting as: Although the...

    No limits were established for the word nano, because it is understood that it refers to 10-9.

    1.28 was rewritten as:

    A bonding in which the surfaces of the two different substances in contact with one another are held together by intermolecular interactions.


    The interactions can be covalent, ionic, hydrogen bonds or van der Waals forces.

    The document was then discussed by the Commission and further corrections were incorporated. It was agreed that all terms should be alphabetized and an index be provided.

    The term, miscibility gap was not considered to be clear and the WP was instructed to solve the problem. Chapter 5 was removed and the Introduction will have to be amended accordingly.


    1. All corrections to be incorporated (WORK).
    2. Solve the definition of miscibility gap. Don Paul will be contacted and, if necessary, eventually two definitions could be incorporated (WORK).
    3. Send amended draft to the WP by 31 December 1998 (WORK).
    4. WP comments to Dr. Work by 28 February 1999 (WP).
    5. Names of external experts to be sent to Dr. WORK. (All commission).
    6. Send to outside experts(WORK).
    7. A new version should be ready for the Berlin meeting (WORK).

    3.4. 25/95 Asymmetric Polymerization

    Prof. Hatada reviewed the work carried out and raised two points that he considered still needed agreement.

    1. The definition of "asymmetric polymerizations". Finally accepted was:


    Although it was considered to be somewhat vague it is complete and allows to include all possibilities, especially racemic polymerization. The matter had been discussed with Prof. Sigwalt who (reluctantly) agreed to this wording.

    2. It was resolved to replace the term "balanced" by "racemic" because of general consistency.

    Prof. Penczek discussed the use of the words "chirality" and "chiral features" and it was accepted that they are essentially synonymous.

    Finally, Prof. Stepto expressed the need to change the structure of the document regarding numbering of definitions and notes. This led to a detailed review with changes in wording, numbering of definitions, notes and examples. Prof. Hatada will make them all consistent and use centre of chirality throughout the document, as a compromise due to the differences found in the 87 and 97 versions of the Gold Book. The WP will discuss and undertake further changes.


    1. Dr. Wilks was added to the WP. Prof. Maréchal requested that his name be removed from it.
    2. The revised document should be circulated to the WP by 15 August 1998 (HATADA).
    3. Comments should be sent back to Hatada by 1 November, together with suggestions of names of experts. (All Commission).
    4. Send to outside experts by 31 December 1998 with replies by 1 May 1999 (HATADA).
    5. Prepare a new version for the WP by 15 June 1999 and present for discussion in Berlin (HATADA).

    3.5. 26/95 Kinetics and Thermodynamics of Polymerization

    Prof. Penczek reported that the latest comments received had been introduced. He proposed that all members of the WP send in their comments after checking the changes.

    Linguistic problems were then discussed in the light of comments by Prof. Jenkins and Dr. Wilks.

    Prof. Stepto questioned Definition 1. A note will be included with the Definition on activated monomer.

    Prof. Gilbert, present at the session, asked if our definitions are consistent with those in the Gold Book. Prof. Penczek replied that some terms were taken from the Gold Book because the need for them was recognized. Furthermore, some of the definitions in the Gold book cannot be used because in general they were prepared having a different reader in mind. Therefore, since we have particular needs regarding definitions we have to cater for them. There followed a lengthy discussion on referencing Gold book definitions with different possibilities examined and many alternatives

    suggested. As a result the use of English words in full (e.g. revised, modified, extracted) was encouraged.

    Prof. Horie offered comments from himself and of Prof. Tsuruta on the term initiator, suggesting the addition of a second note clarifying its definition as being consumed or being a catalyst. The remaining members of the WP had accepted the changes.

    Dr. Jones discussed the last sentence in the Note of Definition 9 and recommended mention of the cage-effect. The WP agreed to take note of this. He also requested that methatesis be included and Dr. Vohlidal agreed to work on this.

    In Definition 4 the words apparent rate constant need clarification and the WP will continue discussing this particular point by e-mail. Furthermore, the WP wishes to have possible further definitions sent to them.

    The following new title was suggested:


    Also the words Kinetics and Thermodynamic Polymerization on the first page are to be replaced by an Introduction.


    1. Add terms on methatesis by 15 September 1998 (VOHLIDAL).
    2. Revised terms and English corrections ready by 1 October 1998 (WILKS).
    3. Revised version ready and sent to WP for comments by 15 October 1998 (PENCZEK).
    4. Comments back to Dr. Penczek, plus suggested names of experts by 1 January 1999 (WP).
    5. Revised draft to outside experts by 1 February 1999, with comments back by 1 May 1999 (PENCZEK).
    6. New version for discussion by the Commission in the Berlin meeting by 1 July 1999 (PENCZEK).

    3.6. 27/95 - Polymer Inorganic Composites

    Prof. Jones described the work done both by the WP (especially Prof. Hess) and external collaborators, including the preliminary list of terms with some tentative definitions. Much support for the project had been received but it was considered that bad habits will be difficult to eradicate and that physical chemists will, very likely, want too many alterations. The list submitted contained terms difficult to understand, although many could be deleted as unnecessary for polymers they may be required by Commission II.3 and vice-versa.

    Prof. Hess considered that this project and Feasibility Study F-13 could be amalgamated. The suggestion met general approval. Profs. Jones and Hess agreed on a common title that, after a prolonged discussion, was accepted, namely:


    It was felt that because the document will contain a mixture of basic and applied terms it will be useful. In addition, according to Prof. Hess, the inclusion of processing makes it important for materials.

    It was proposed that a meeting be organized before the end of the year between members of both Commissions II.3 and IV.1 (Dr. Holland and others, and Drs. Jones and Hess) to try to reach an agreement on a joint document. Prof. Horie supported this idea because he considered the combination of both fields to be very valuable.

    It was agreed that Prof. Mita should join the WP. Prof. Mita said that the document should be self-contained with extensive cross-referencing, because inorganic chemists are not too keen on polymeric terms.

    A unanimous vote (16 votes) supported joining the two projects, if, as a result of the mentioned meeting with II.3, a final decision is reached regarding the separation or not of the two projects.

    Prof. Stepto suggested checking the Glossary (1996), the Non-linear (1997), the Aging documents and the Gold Book (2nd. ed.). Prof. Mita and Dr. Kahovec requested the elimination of organic chemistry terms. Dictionary covered terms also needed to be deleted.


    1. Consult with Commission II.3 about a joint project (JONES). In case of failure, 27/93 and F-13 will be again separated and F-13 becomes a project by itself because it has enough letters of support.
    2. A joint meeting will be held between Profs. Jones, Hess, Holland and Dr. Meisl before 31 December 98.
    3. A final decision about combination or division of the project will be made during the Berlin meeting.
    4. If combination is agreed upon, Prof. Stepto will seek possible funding.
    5. Commission Members will suggest additions or deletions to the list of terms and notify Prof. Jones by 30 November 98 (Al Commission).
    6. A new list will be circulated to the WP by the end of June (JONES).
    7. The list will be discussed during the Berlin meeting.

    3.7. 28/97 Terminology and Nomenclature of Hyperbranched Macromolecules and Dendrimer Molecules.

    Dr. Kahovec reported that the major problem in this document stems from the need to use organic chemistry nomenclature and a variety of possibilities were analyzed. For a solution he proposed a nomenclature based on Regular single strand organic nomenclature. In this way there is a core unit or hyperatom that is not repeated, repeating units and end units.

    The advantages of this procedure are that they use current structure-based nomenclature, establish differences between dendrimers and hyperbranched polymers. It includes dicentric dendrimers and end units that may be equal or different.


    1. A second draft to be prepared for the WP by 31 December 98. (KAHOVEC and WILKS).
    2. Comments from WP by 1 April 99 (WORKING PARTY).
    3. A new draft is to be prepared to be submitted to the Commission for the 1999 Berlin Meeting (KAHOVEC and WILKS).

    3.8. 29/97 Cyclic Macromolecule Nomenclature

    Prof. Maréchal reported that the WP found it reasonable to separate threaded macrocyclics from the document and possibly start a new project, especially regarding rotaxanes. This was accepted on the basis of the opinions of Prof. Maréchal and Dr. Wilks and the name of the present document is changed to NOMENCLATURE OF CYCLIC MACROMOLECULES.

    This decision implied dropping pages 12 to 16 and inserting a statement that threaded macrocyclics will be the subject of a separate document. It was further suggested that a symbol, to be decided at a later date, should be used to identify a junction. In the meantime, the present description will be tested.

    Names on page 9 are to be restructured. Two bridges were suggested for the example on page 10.


    1. The literature will be checked for examples (KAHOVEC).
    2. A letter will be written to Dr. Fox indicating the division of the document and asking him to propose new forms of cyclic macromolecules by 1 January, 1999 (MARÉCHAL and WILKS).
    3. A proposed nomenclature for rotaxanes, polyrotaxanes, and catenanes will be provided by 31 October 1998 (WILKS).
    4. A further draft of the reduced document will be prepared and sent to the WP party by 31 December 1998 (MARÉCHAL).
    5. The WP will send comments by 30 April 1999 (WORKING PARTY).
    6. A new draft will be prepared and submitted to the Commission at the 1999 Meeting (FOX, MARÉCHAL and WILKS).

    3.9. 30/97 Polymer Class Names

    A preliminary list was provided by Dr. Metanomski that was reviewed and discussed.


    1. The list should be expanded to include more classes of non-linear macromolecules (METANOMSKI).
    2. A selection of class names should be defined and circulated to the WP by 31 December 1999 (METANOMSKI).
    3. WP to comment by 1 April 1999.
    4. A new version will be prepared and circulated, by 1 June 1999, for discussion at the Berlin meeting.

    3.10. 31/97 Polymerization Processes and Polymers in Dispersed Systems

    Dr. Horie, in a "short communication" that had been circulated to the Commission, reported cooperation with Prof. Penczek and that Prof. Slomkowski has formed a working group to cooperate on this project.

    There are 200 proposed terms divided into groups. Deletion of the unnecessary ones was suggested (about one fourth of the total).

    After some general discussion and Prof. Penczek's suggestion, it was decided to invite Prof. Slomkowski, as an observer, during the Berlin meeting so that he can present his opinions and get a feeling for our work. Also, Prof. Kubisa should join the WP.


    1. Prof. Slomkowski should be asked to produce a list of terms for the WP and have it circulated by the end of November 1998 (KUBISA).
    2. Comments made by the 31 January, 1999 (WP).
    3. Definitions should be proposed by 31, May 1999, and circulated to the WP and the Commission for comments and discussion at the Berlin meeting (KUBISA and SLOMKOWSKI).

    3.11. 32/97 Terminology of the Chromatography of Polymers and Related Materials (Separations)

    As this is a joint project of Commissions IV.1 and IV.2 it does not have a Commission IV.1 number.

    Prof. Hess reported that Dr. Wilks has been included in the WP and that two e-mails were received from Prof. Dusan Berek (Comm. IV.2) asking the members of his WP to adopt a definite strategy for this project, in the sense that the WP should refer to a 1995 IUPAC document on chromatography and concentrate on techniques. Prof. Hess further indicated that Dr. Berek had not received anything from his WP but he will, in any case, write a tentative list of terms by the end of the year in collaboration with Dr. Berek.

    Prof. Stepto then suggested that Prof. Hess take the initiative and that Prof. Vohlidal should help him in the preparation of the list.

    Since Prof. Hatada is leaving the WP, Dr. T. Kitayama was incorporated in his place.


    1. The WP will be requested to contribute a tentative list of terms by 31 December 1998 (HESS).
    2. Definitions will be requested for 1 April 1999 (HESS).
    3. A draft should be prepared and distributed to the Commission by 1 June 1999, to be discussed at the Berlin meeting (HESS).
    4. Since this project has no Comm. IV.1 number, it might be launched and adopted as a nomenclature project. This position should be clarified with Profs. Berek and Gilbert before the Berlin meeting (STEPTO).

    4. Feasibility studies

    4.1. F-6 Thermal Properties

    Prof. Shibaev reported that the document was first seen in Guildford and then discussed in Seoul. Six letters of support have been circulated and three additional ones were received afterwards. Dr. Wilks added eleven more letters from DuPont and read some of the supporting texts.

    Prof. Hemminger questioned the inclusion of terms on Definitions relating to Thermal Analysis and suggested eliminating some of them. The WP believes that the questioned terms are needed because they are of a general nature.

    Prof. Stepto reminded the Commission that Prof. Gilbert wanted this to be a Division project. The Commission agreed to it. The Commission also agreed to the inclusion of terms from the ICTA and to invite Dr. F. W. Wilburn, of the ICTA, to join the WP.


    1. Dr. F. W. Wilburn is to be invited to join the WP (SHIBAEV).
    2. Put together all the letters of support (SHIBAEV).
    3. Prof. Hemminger will be contacted to sort out collaboration with him and to clarify matters (STEPTO and HESS).
    4. The present text will be modified and sent to Prof. Stepto giving appropriate reasons for launching the project (SHIBAEV).

    4.2. F-13 - Gel Terminology

    See 3.6, project 27/95

    4.3. F-15 - Functionalization of Polymers

    Prof. Horie reported essentially on the contents of a letter of 29 June 1998, which had been sent to the WP. The WP had concluded that the document can be divided into two parts: functionalization and functions. Definitions should be referenced and made self-consistent. Chemical reactions, because they are self-evident they are not always defined but there are references to them that Dr. Kahovec will try to provide.

    Specific proposals were: to use chlorosulfonation and not sulfochlorination, to define amination, to remove chlorination, bromination and iodination; to include a general statement of dereactions; to accept nitration; to change section titles and to delete some terms.


    1. A modified list of terms will be sent to the WP by 31 August 1998 (HORIE).
    2. Comments to Prof. Horie by 31 October 1998 (WP).
    3. Obtain letters of support for a project. (HORIE).
    4. Start work on definitions by 1 November, 1998 (WP).
    5. Definitions to Prof. Horie by 31 March 1999 (WP).
    6. Circulate a draft to the Commission by 30 June for discussion in the Berlin meeting (HORIE).

    4.4 F-16 - Terminology of Ion-Containing Polymers

    Prof. Kubisa reported that there is a preliminary list of terms and he has received comments. The difficulty resides in the scope of the document because it refers to basic ionic terms. He suggested that the way to overcome the problem was to choose fifty terms by 30 September 1998 to fix the scope of the project.

    Prof. Kubisa expressed his concern about the inclusion of inorganic terms, because many minerals are ion containing. Prof. Penczek suggested that some will have to be included such as polypyrophosphates.

    Prof. Kubisa indicated that he has a complete set of terms without inorganics.

    Dr. Work asked if electroconducting (doped) polymers will be considered.

    Prof. Stepto and Dr. Metanomski requested that somebody contact the Inorganic Nomenclature Commission. Prof. Jones offered to try to do this and come back with ideas and suggestions.


    1. Parallel contacts will be made with the Inorganic Nomenclatures Commission and with Dr. M. Turner on ion countering polymers (JONES).
    2. Work on a combined list of some 50 only organic basic terms and send it to the Commission by 1 October 1998 (KUBISA).
    3. Comments to Prof. Kubisa by 31 December 1998 (COMMISSION).
    4. Prepare definitions on the revised list and send to Prof. Stepto the necessary material for Project Initiation (letters of support, list of terms and scope of document) by 1 June 1999 (KUBISA).
    5. Circulate first draft to the Commission for discussion at the Berlin meeting by 1 July 1999 (KUBISA).

    4.5 F-17 - Terminology of Dielectric Properties of Polymers

    Prof. Barón described the situation at present. There is a long preliminary list that has been examined by DuPont experts, was circulated to the members of The Dielectric Society (UK) and to Prof. G. W. Bak of the Institute of Physics, Technical University of Lodz (Lodz, Poland). He agreed to have comments on the list after the Conference on Dielectrics and Related Phenomena (DPR'98) to be held in Bielsko-Biala, Poland from 24 to 27 September, 1998.

    Dr. Wilks offered to suggest names of experts.

    Prof. Stepto pointed out the absence of specific terms related to polymers.

    Prof. Hess indicated that he has received many opinions of polymer people that expressed concern over the fact that they do not know exactly what they are measuring.

    Experts in non-polymeric dielectrics should be consulted on the problem of defining what it is exactly that the electric perturbation causes in a material.


    1. Suggestions of terms relating to polymers should be sent to Prof. Barón by 31 December 1998 (COMMISSION).
    2. Consider the inclusion of mechanical properties related to dielectric behaviour (BARÓN).
    3. Prepare a new list for the Berlin meeting (BARÓN).
    4. Get more supporting letters (BARÓN).
    5. Get the names of non-polymeric experts by 31 December 1998 (BARÓN).

    5. New Feasibility Studies

    5.1. F-18 - Ultimate Mechanical Properties of Polymers

    Dr. Work proposed this project since it should cover the terms that could not be included in the document on non-ultimate mechanical properties and there seems to be a need for them. Dr. Wilks offered to get DuPont expertise on the subject and a list of names for letters of support.

    The WP will be coordinated by Prof. Hess with the cooperation of Prof. Stepto and Dr. Work.


    1. Review and prepare a list of terms by 31 December 1998 (HESS, WILKS and WORK).
    2. Circulate to the Commission for discussion in the Berlin meeting (HESS).

    5.2. F-19 - Source based Nomenclature for Modified Polymer Molecules

    Prof. Maréchal and Dr. Wilks consider this to be a very important project for industry and Dr. Wilks agrees to spearhead it looking also at monographs on polymer modifications.

    The WP will be coordinated by Dr. Wilks and will include Prof. Maréchal, Prof. Horie, Dr. Kahovec and Prof. Vohlidal.


    1. Send a provisional draft to the WP by 1 November, 1998 (WILKS).
    2. Obtain letters of support (WILKS).
    3. WP to report back to Dr. Wilks by 15 January, 1999 (WP).
    4. A revised version for discussion in Berlin should be sent to the Commission by 1 June 1999 (WILKS).
    5. The letters of support to be sent to Prof. Stepto (WILKS).

    5.3. F-20 - Nomenclature of Threaded Cyclic Molecules

    This feasibility study results form the separation of the subjects in Project 29/97, as discussed above.

    The WP will be coordinated by Dr. Wilks and will include Dr. Kahovec, Prof. Kubisa, Prof. Maréchal, Dr. Metanomski and Prof. Stepto.


    1. Prepare and send a provisional draft to the WP by 1 November, 1998 (WILKS).
    2. Obtain letters of support (WILKS).
    3. WP to report back to Dr. Wilks by 15 January, 1999.
    4. A revised version for discussion in Berlin should be sent to the Commission by 1 June, 1999 (WILKS).
    5. The letters of support to be sent to Prof. Stepto (WILKS).

    6. Other Business

    6.1. Comprehensive List of Terms

    After a short discussion it was agreed that this project can be carried out directly without any preliminary steps. Dr. Work agreed to take care of it.


    1. A list will be prepared in hard copy and sent to the Commission (WORK).
    2. The Commission will review progress at the Berlin meeting.

    6.2. The Purple Book

    Prof. Stepto asked about a new edition. Dr. Metanomski answered that the situation is rather similar to that of the Guide since we are actually waiting for two documents to be completed that will become chapters: Liquid Crystals and Regular Single Strand Nomenclature. Since they are expected to be completed by this time next year, it will then be possible to start the formal work as a project by writing the preface.

    The WP will be coordinated by Dr. Metanomski and will include Prof. Stepto and Dr. Work.

    Dr. Work will start along the lines of the letter written to the acting publication secretary after last year's Meeting. The new edition of the Purple Book will include all documents published since 1991 (eight documents) and the Revision of Regular, Single Strand Nomenclature and Liquid Crystals Generic Nomenclature and Polymer Class Names would probably not be included. The question of whether or not to include the publications of the IUBMB remains unresolved, but will be kept open as indicated below. Especially since the letter sent by Prof. Barón to Dr. Barry Whyte went unanswered, but a direct communication from IUBMB has been received.


    1. Dr. Metanomski will start with the project
    2. The publisher will be contacted again to indicate the present state of the matter (METANOMSKI).

    6.3. IUBMB

    Dr. Kahovec reported that there are very few points of interest in the document received from IUBMB. Dr. Dixon will be requested to provide an updated list of their documents (BARÓN).

    It was resolved that Dr. Kurt Loening will continue representing Commission IV,1, although it is understood that he can only attend meetings that are held in the U. S. A. He will be informed of this decision (BARÓN).

    6.4 Publicity.

    Last year's actions regarding the list of valid publications and publications editors, the ACS and the European Polymer Federation will be repeated. Chemistry International will also be contacted (BARÓN and STEPTO).

    6.5 Website

    There are essentially two web sites. One corresponds to the Division and was established by its Chairman, Prof. Robert Gilbert (http://alf.chem.usyd.edu.au/~gilbert/iupac.htm). It contains a Division Statement and has a link to the site of Commission IV.1.

    The other site is that of Commission IV.1, prepared by Dr. William J. Work and is updated regularly regarding publications (http ://www.rohmhass.com/iupac/purpose/index.htm).

    Dr. Metanomski mentioned that the IUPAC home page contains historical, archival and publications information (translations included). All information is listed and linked.

    Prof. Gilbert reported the website status from the Division's point of view and asked Dr. Work if there are keywords in our Commission's website. He suggested that some be introduced. Furthermore it is very important to start placing all documents on the web because the intention is to go electronic on all matters (See item 5.4). Copyright matters will be taken care of regarding the website.

    Since the Purple Book is not in electronic form, Division money may be requested to scan in the Purple Book and create a version that can be updated whenever pertinent. Dr. Wilks offered to cooperate.

    It is the Commission's opinion that the website should be on an easily accessible server. It accepted Dr. Work's offer to continue taking care of the site. Therefore, all material should be sent electronically to him.

    Finally, the need for a comprehensive list of all terms related to polymers was acknowledged and it was decided to prepare one but not as a project. This will not become a Project but will just be an additional Commission Activity (WORK) and once completed will go on the web.

    6.6 Documents under Public Review

    The Commission requested that Prof. Gilbert makes a formal recommendation to the IUPAC Bureau to make documents under public review available to National Chemical Societies, because such societies are not in all cases the National Adhering Organizations and documents at this stage do not reach them. (ACTION: Prof. GILBERT).

    7. Titular Members' Meeting

    Meeting in a closed session, the titular members discussed the Commission's situation in view of the termination of several terms of membership at the end of 1999. The first case to be considered was that of the chairman since Prof. Stepto ceases both as Titular Member and Chairman. After a careful analysis it was resolved that Prof. Michael Hess should be nominated at the Berlin meeting.

    The terms of Drs. Jaroslav Kahovec and V. M. Metanomski as Titular Members will also finish, so it was decided to nominate Prof. Przemyslaw Kubisa and Drs. Ingrid Meisel and Edward S. Wilks as Titular Members at the Berlin meeting.

    It was further resolved that Prof. Richard G. Jones be renominated as Pool Titular Member at the Berlin meeting, with Dr. Meisel's Titular Membership being subject to Dr. Jones' Pool Titular Membership continuing.

    It was resolved to nominate Prof. Jirí Vohlidal, T. Kitayama and Dr. Graham Swift as Associate Members at the Berlin meeting.

    1999 Meeting Location

    The Commission will meet for four days during the Berlin General Assembly in accordance with the resolution at the Geneva General Assembly. An extra day will be devoted to Division business. The Commission Officers will take the necessary steps to implement this decision at the IUPAC Secretariat level.

    Page last modified 9 September 1999.
    Copyright ©1997, 98, 99 International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry.
    Questions or comments about IUPAC, please contact, the Secretariat.
    Questions regarding the website, please contact web manager.